[WIP] Twitch EventSub Integration

A place to put misc. technical notes and maybe tutorials for various things I work on or maintain. This helps me go back and check, while offering the information publicly for anyone else it may help in the future.
serynn
Site Admin

For awhile I've had a goal of building my own custom integrations from scratch, and hosting them myself.

I started this process by learning how to build Twitch chat bots (which actually are based on the IRC - Internet Relay Chat - Protocol).
I was really surprised Twitch used IRC! I had built a few IRC bots many moons ago.

There are freely / readily-available tools to do custom rewards (which I have and still use for certain features; StreamLabs, StreamerBot, StreamElements, etc.), but I like the idea of learning how to do some things myself from the ground-up. For me, the learning is fun; it's like solving a puzzle! Another reason is that it gives me the know-how to build completely custom stuff that isn't available yet, and to understand how it works so that if it breaks I can fix it myself.
Technology changes pretty quickly too, so if I can't maintain it myself and the tool I use breaks then I'm bummed out, stuck waiting for someone else to get time to fix the issue.

One day I might like to build custom tools and integrations for others too.
I've been doing that kind of thing since highschool, and I really enjoy that kind of work - it helps others while also giving me a fun challenge to solve.
I'm a problem solver, and building solutions that solves problems can be fun ^_^

A friend of mine VirtualStella has a cute reward to "Order a Drink" (once per stream).
Her implementation is really cute - you may get a tasty drink, or a horrible experiment...

I wanted something similar with my camping theme, but I wanted to build it from scratch - for the reasons mentioned above ^_^

Anyways! Here are my technical notes on the EventSub integration.

### Goal ###

* Create a custom Channel Points Reward
* Allow my server or service to know when the Channel Points Reward was redeemed/triggered
* Do something in response to the redemption (like push a message to chat)

### Research ###

IN PROGRESS - this section will be updated as I compile my notes!

#### Authentication ####

* app access_tokens vs. user access_tokens

TBD

#### Local Development & Basic Testing ####

TBD

#### Server-Side Testing ####

TBD